- Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is the #1 killer in schools (7-10,000 annually) and in the nation (450,000 annually)
- Cardiac arrest is not the same as a heart attack. It’s an electrical malfunction that creates an abnormal heart rhythm that only a shock from an automated external defibrillator (AED) can correct; chest compressions alone won’t work.
- If a person suffering cardiac arrest can have an AED placed on them within the first 3 minutes of the cardiac event, their chance of survival will increase by 90%. Chances decrease 10% every minute thereafter.
- The average 911 response time is 10-12 minutes. This is why it’s vital to have these devices readily available to avoid possible brain damage upon resuscitation.
By your investing through donations, the Alliance will purchase and facilitate:
-Supplies of AEDs to fire and rescue departments throughout the country to be used in our national award-winning “Borrow an AED” program. The AEDs will be available to the public to check out for free for any public events, gatherings and activities.
- Achieving goal having one borrow plan in every state by year-end 2013 and
- Achieving goal having one borrow plan in every county in U.S. by year-end 2014
- Advocate and achieve funding/legislation requiring at least one AED in every public school and CPR/AED required curriculum by 2014
- Provide outlines and protocol to AED users, including blueprints for AED plans that detail compliance, proper use and maintenance upon AED plan implementation
Dr. Snyder is the Key Bank-Meyer Family Chair of Pediatric Cardiology at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital. Andrew Cohn, a healthy fifteen-year old, suffered Sudden Cardiac Death during a baseball game. A collision with a base runner at the precise time (commotio-cordis) caused Andrew’s perfectly healthy heart to go into an abnormal rhythm and resulted [...]
In August 2012, students and faculty at Hall High School in Spring Valley, Illinois were stunned by the sudden cardiac death of a student football player. He died about 20 minutes into a Wednesday night practice. http://www.ahchealthenews.com/2013/03/11/young-athletes-at-risk-for-sudden-cardiac-arrest/
Andrew was 15 years old and the youngest of four boys. He had a healthy heart until a glancing collision, while playing baseball. This sent his heart into a fatal irregular heartbeat, called Commotio Cordis, that caused his death. Compared to SCA resulting from a heart abnormality or damage to the heart, this condition is more treatable (up to 98%) because the heart is healthy and just needs to be restarted by defibrillation within the first few minutes. The multitude of families at the ball game went from laughter to hopeless shock. To have this tragic result, from such a slight collision, is indescribable. The frame-by-frame images of the scene are traumatic and indelible on the memories of everyone who was there. A year later, the … [Read More...]
This is an example of a widget area that you can place text to describe a product or service. You can also use other WordPress widgets such as recent posts, recent comments, a tag cloud or more.